Your offer terms alone could get you the home but if it’s “The One,” why not share a personal note to make your offer undeniable to the seller? Or at least pave the way to a more respectful negotiation and transition. We call this an offer cover letter, and it can come in many forms.
However, all should be concise and make a personal connection. Here’s how:
- Give your offer letter a custom look. Do not be afraid to stand out by including memorable formatting or pics.
- Strike a personable tone. Write with enthusiasm and authenticity. This alone can win over a seller.
- Share some (uncontroversial) personal details. Show the seller you are more than just numbers on a contract. Avoid religion, politics or any info that might compromise your ability to negotiate.
- Tell the seller what you love about the home. Be simple and sincere. Share how much you appreciate certain features. You saw a professional sports jersey on the wall from a team that your family has been a fan of for years. Maybe your kids will go to the same elementary school. It doesn’t matter what, but shed some light on that shared interest.
- Explain your offer. If your offer is above asking price highlight the strength. If it’s low you can still be proud of your offer and complimentary of certain features while explaining the investment value simply isn’t there.
Putting it all together, here’s a simple example:
Thank you so much for the opportunity to make an offer on your beautiful home! We truly fell in love with the layout, the condition, and the location.
My husband, Javier, and I have a young son, Simon, who just started pre-school at Starlight. It would be such a treat to start our day with a short family walk, coffee in hand, of course 😊, to drop off Simon. Our french bulldog, Cooper would love the spacious backyard on day one and would anxiously await the day Simon can run out there and play with him. Speaking of which, our agent told us the playscape in the back does not convey with the home. If this is a cost or hassle for you to move, we would be more than happy to inherit it for Simon.
We know you received multiple offers and it’s well deserved. Attached you will find our absolute highest and best offer which is above your asking price of $415,000. If accepted, our agent also advised us the appraisal could be an issue that disrupts the closing schedule. We want you to know our commitment to close is strong and we are willing to cover the difference up to $10,000.
We hope to continue making great family memories in this home for years to come. Thank you again for your time and considering our growing family!
Make your offer letter memorable. When you make an offer with us, you get to share an offer letter with the seller. Beat the competition! 😉